Friday, February 6, 2015

When I Grow Up...

We always have a tendency to put our kids on the spot about what they want to be when they grow up.  Well, I'm still working on figuring that out.  LOL

I've done a lot of things in life...Nurse Tech....Cardiovascular Tech.....Nursing Home Activities Director......Chocolatier......Nail Tech.....Product Manufacturer.....Secretary for various companies.....Website Designer.....the list goes on and on.  And now, add Writer/Author to that list.

If you had asked me when I was in middle or high school what I wanted to do with my life I would have told you that I wanted to be a Physical Therapist.  I even went to college for a couple of years with that as my major.  But it became clear to me that being a Physical Therapist wasn't REALLY what I wanted to do.  The truth was that I really had no earthly idea what I wanted to do with my life. And sometimes I am still at a loss.

I can say with certainty that if you were to have asked me if I'd ever have a desire to write I'd have told you absolutely not.  Back then I didn't even like to read.  The only reading that I did was curriculum related materials.  I had "better" things to do with my time than to read.  LOL

However, I can now say that when I surrendered myself completely to God it became clear what I was meant to do.  And it wasn't just ONE thing.  No, I've got my hands in a few things now.  Each one has to do with tending to people's needs and caring for others.  Nail Tech stuck.  It puts me in a position to help people feel good about themselves.  And the one thing that I never in a million years thought I'd be doing is writing books (I now LOVE to read, by the way, and have a very large collection of books that is growing constantly).

My point is this, don't be upset if your child doesn't know what he or she wants to do with the rest of their lives.  Just support them in their interests.  Nurture their natural God-given talents.  And just pray that God will lead them in the right direction.  They'll figure it out eventually.  And don't be surprised if their interests and talents change over the years as they mature.  Just be there.  Just be supportive.  Just love them for who God created them to be.

When I grow up.......
I want to be all that God created me to be.
I want to use all the gifts and talents that are unique to me.
I want God's love to show in me for the world to see.
I want God to be proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment